Updated Daily: 04.05 – 8:38pm EST
LATEST: Mental Health Resources & Many new Resource links!
Upcoming Updates: Free Webinars & Telehealth Q&As
Please check out my Instagram/Facebook Page/LinkedIn Stories for quick tips and insights!
As Western/modern medicine grapples developing a vaccine under extreme pressure, I strongly feel that little to no actual immune system supportive measures are being discussed broadly, despite the fact that we do have tools to help at our disposal. This cannot be stressed enough – especially for at-risk populations.
Traditional Chinese/Eastern Medicine (TCM) is indeed capable of being a assistant method of prevention and treatment (alongside, of course, all standard WHO/local governmental guidelines – this goes without saying!) with extensive science and millennia of experience to back this claim up – all provided below.
This set of resources is intended to educate the general public and healthcare practitioners in general.
Check back often, I will likely be updating this daily, and will be posting general updates to my ‘Inspired Living Warriors‘ Fb Page.
If you’d like to learn much more about the philosophy and basics of Chinese Medicine, please check out my comprehensive article – here (and give it some claps while you’re there!)
New 3/22 Summary Video! 👇
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- The Basics: Your Action Plan Summary
- General Overview & Healthcare Provider Note
- Common Chinese Formulas
- Single Common Herbs
- My Top Supportive Supplements
- Lifestyle Tips
- Public TCM Distributors
- The Technicals: TCM Tactics & Science
- Mental Health Resources 🆕
- My Top Resources
- Big Picture
- Science-Based Databases
- Emergency/Financial Resources 🆕
- Emerging Newsfronts
- Socio-Political Implications
- A final note for Skeptics
1. The Basics: YOUR ACTION PLAN SUMMARY
- Please note – neither Matt Walton nor Roots to Sky take responsibility for your decision to purchase & consume any of these recommendations. They are provided for your own research, and should always be under the supervision of an experienced practitioner.
- To prevent hoarding and low-supply stock, these should be prioritised to the most at-risk populations – in other words, please buy these for your grandparents or those with compromised immune systems, before buying them for yourself.
- Skeptical? Refer to the TCM Science section, and see next page at bottom of this article.
- Symptom-Specific Herbal Protection from Viruses
- FOR FRONTLINE HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS
- While there is obviously little data to back this claim up (though it might actually be found in my Science section) – I am confident that if you are in the incubation stage without symptoms and you were to take Jade Windscreen or even a preventative Gan Mao Ling (described below) will likely assist in succumbing to the actual full blown disease. While you still may be a carrier, you will be assisting your innate immune system the upper hand in the early asymptomatic battle stage.
CHINESE MEDICINE STAGES:
The first 2 formulas Yu Ping Feng San and Gan Mao Ling should be in every at-risk household. I choose these because of their high availability to the public. Search online for reputable sources, I will be providing more in future edits.
- Immune Supportive/Incubation/Asymptomatic Stage: Jade Windscreen (Yu Ping Feng San) (1, 2)
- This can be purchased through any reputable TCM local shop, or online such as ActiveHerb.com
- Early/First signs of infection: Gan Mao Ling
- Again, very easy to find online/in local shops – this is why I’m recommending it over other more technical/less commonly available formulas.
- According to Jake Paul Fratkin, a stronger anti-viral when compared to the other popular Yin Qiao formula – but can absolutely be taken in combination in this case!
- As soon as acute fever/chill symptoms emerge – STOP taking Jade Windscreen (refer to my video) and get the infected person to immediately sweat by any means necessary – strong fresh ginger tea and a hot bath!
- Established Infection: Refer the “TCM Resources” below to your practitioner.
- STOP taking Jade Windscreen and go to a hospital!
- In the full blown stage, Chinese Medicine works best when guideline formulas are customized to the needs of the individual – as is the tradition.
- There does seem to be a strong need for “Phlegm Scouring” herbs.
- When it comes to cytokine storms – the logic remains, simply treat based on TCM pattern presentation.
- TCM practitioners can ship directly from distributors/dispensers to your doorstep, and when properly prescribed dramatically reduce the days and intensity of the illness – with little, if any side effects.
SINGLE COMMON HERBS:
- Please note – while I am trained in Western herbalism, I am not an expert and suggest speaking to one. I provide these for your own research starting points.
- Can likely be purchases in raw/loose form from many health food stores. Can be used individually or in combination, as needed.
- Immune Tonics: Astragalus, North American ginseng, reishi/ganoderma, shiitake (in fact, mushrooms in general), elecampane (related to ragweed)
- Flu/Acute (Diaphoretics): Boneset, yarrow, elderleaf, kudzu
YOUR IMMUNE SUPPORTIVE SUPPLEMENTS RESEARCH STARTING POINTS:
- Deep Immune – The Ideal All-Around Protective Tonic
- Based on Jade Windscreen, available in any health food store!
- AOR – Mushroom Synergy
- Vitamin D
- I’m not even going to begin to provide the research showing the link between sunlight & cold/flu prevalence & immunity. There’s just too much!
- My top vitamin research website
- I’ll… leave this up to you to scan through.
- I’m worried about the mental health and increased substance abuse from those we aren’t hearing from in our social networks. Please call and check in with your friends & family – especially those who fall easily into depression/addiction.
- Honestly, don’t underestimate the power of “catching a chill” – wear a scarf, stay warm, avoid drafts & breezes that give you goosebumps. If you catch a chill, be sure to make a fresh ginger tea (boiled 10 mins), or even chai, to “throw it off”.
- Stop acting like the air outside is toxic! Go for a walk, fresh air, forests, and sun will boost your immune system and mood. This isn’t an apocalypse! Just avoid crowds, the virus can only be transmitted through sustained contact.
2. PUBLIC TCM DISTRIBUTORS
Please note – neither Matt Walton nor Roots to Sky take responsibility for your decision to purchase & consume any of these recommendations. They are provided for your own research, and are best dispensed under the supervision of an experienced practitioner.
3. The Technicals: TCM TACTICS & SCIENCE:
Please note I am rigorously staying on top of all the information disseminated from CTCMPAO & Health Canada so that my medical expertise stays sharp and updated.
A NOTE ON “BOOSTING” THE IMMUNE SYSTEM: When I/we say this term, what we TCM practitioners are saying is restoring/optimizing immune system markers especially when a person is in a general poor state of overall health – as from the TCM view and on lab reports, many, if not most Westerners are. This is primarily due to poor diets, chronic inflammation, and stress-related immune suppression. Specifically there is research to prove that this, and numerous other herbs not mentioned here (such as Tulsi) can “significantly increase levels of the immune system’s T-helper cells and NK-cells”.
To better understand TCM terminology, please check out my brief FAQ on the topic, here.
- Expert Consensus Statement on the Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment of COVID-19 Infection in Children
- The most comprehensive TCM article to date.
- Effective Strategies for Treating Influenza
- Highly recommend for understanding how TCM approaches COVID, flu, or any medical conditions in general.
- How COVID-19 (2019-nCoV) is Currently Treated in China with TCM
- 🆕The Lantern Magazine: COVID-19 – Your Essential Guide
- In silico screening of Chinese herbal medicines with the potential to directly inhibit 2019 novel coronavirus
- Can Chinese Medicine Be Used for Prevention of Corona Virus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)? A Review of Historical Classics, Research Evidence and Current Prevention Programs.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine in the Treatment of Patients Infected with 2019-New Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2): A Review and Perspective
- COVID-19 and CHINESE MEDICINE
- PubMed: Yu Ping Feng San
- American Dragon: Influenza
- For general guidelines & pattern presentation logic
- Is TCM helping to treat coronavirus in China?
- Coronavirus: Chinese researchers claim TCM herbal remedy could ‘inhibit’ 2019-nCoV
- CORONAVIRUS, ANCIENT THERAPIES: CAN CHINESE MEDICINE HELP CONTAIN COVID-19?
- Further, I recommend doing PubMed searches on any individual herbs included in any of the aforementioned formulas.
Still skeptical? See next page at bottom of this article.
4. 🆕MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES
If you’ve been following my writing on social media, one of my biggest alarms I’ve been sounding regarding prolonged quarantine is increased depression, stress, anxiety – and even suicides. As of April, with my above Chinese Medicine resources now generally complete, I will switch my focus to providing as many mental/emotional resources as I can here. Please check back often.
- Inspired Living Warriors Fb Group: Mental-Emotional Health Resources
- Mental Health Commission of Canada – Covid-19 Resources
- BBC: Coronavirus: How to protect your mental health
TCM FOR DEPRESSION/ANXIETY/INSOMNIA/STRESS
- Gan Mai Da Zao Wan – This is basically the only formula I’m recommending as it is safe for the general public without the need for a formal precise TCM diagnosis as there are numerous other options to choose from – but may not be suitable for everyone. Order it from the links provided above.
TELEHEALTH & SERVICES
- How a 25-year-old is addressing mental health during the coronavirus crisis
- Companies boosting mental health supports for employees amid coronavirus pandemic
- The Covid-19 crisis too few are talking about: health care workers’ mental health
5. MATT’S TOP RESOURCES & ARTICLES:
SCIENCE-BASED DATABASES & UPDATES
I’m seriously tired of the misinformation going around. Please stop posting news articles – especially cherry-picked ones – and stick to the facts. If you cant provide citation, you shouldn’t be sharing/fear-mongering on social media.
- PubMed: LitCovid
- Misinformation Watch – COVID19MisInfo.org
- Medscape Coronavirus Database
- WHO: Global research on coronavirus disease
- Global Covid-19 Case Fatality Rates
- Harvard Coronavirus Resource Center (Also an excellent Q&A)
- LinkedIn – Coronavirus: Official Updates (Excellent updates, directly from WHO etc.)
- Medium – Coronavirus Blog
- Here’s where Canadian artists and freelancers can find help during COVID-19 shutdowns
- Credit Canada – COVID-19 Financial Resource Centre
- HOW TO SURVIVE A FINANCIAL EMERGENCY: COVID-19 PANDEMIC
THE BIG PICTURE
- How deadly is the coronavirus? It’s still far from clear
- Coronavirus: nine reasons to be reassured
- While this article is now relatively outdated, please keep your facts aligned with resources such as Medscape, CDC, WHO, and Wikipedia, instead of zero-ing in on the absolute worst-case scenarios and contributing to public hysteria.
- COVID-19 Mortality Rate May Be ‘Considerably Less Than 1%’
- This is world-wide, rather than individual regions where there obviously can be significant variations/variables – most notably in the US.
- Coronavirus Will Change the World Permanently. Here’s How.
- The entire premise of my original video has been confirmed by this latest report from Italy – please take this as a chance to have your loved ones begin the path to overall health!
- COVID-19 compared to other diseases
- The Ecology of Disease (from 2012!)
- The coronavirus did not escape from a lab. Here’s how we know.
- COVID-19 crisis tells world what Indigenous Peoples have been saying for thousands of years
- ‘Tip of the iceberg’: is our destruction of nature responsible for Covid-19?
- The Four Possible Timelines for Life Returning to Normal
- Some Good News: You Don’t Need to Worry About the Coronavirus Mutating
- What the Science Really Says About Ibuprofen and Coronavirus
- Potential impact of seasonal forcing on a SARS-CoV-2 pandemic
- Severe Outcomes Among Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) — United States, February 12–March 16, 2020
- Study: COVID-19 Is Also Spread by Fecal-Oral Route
- Infected people without symptoms might be driving the spread of coronavirus more than we realized
Not wanting to wade into political debate… But these are simply pretty hard to argue against.
- ‘Literally Weaponizing Coronavirus’: Despite One of World’s Worst Outbreaks of Deadly Virus, US Hits Iran With ‘Brutal’ New Sanctions
- Coronavirus has revealed left wing ideas are nothing more than plain common sense
- A debt jubilee is the only way to avoid a depression
- Reality Has Endorsed Bernie Sanders
- These Companies Enriched Themselves. Now They’re Getting a Bailout.
FINAL NOTE: As this Coronavirus situation normalizes, I will simply convert this to my standard resource for flus/colds in general, as well as any future epidemics. I plan on adding much more of my own content, but have skipped this in the draft version to simply focus on disseminating these resources as quickly as possible.