“But Matt, what do relationships & communication have anything to do with Eastern Medicine and Mental Health?
Both sex and communication are a dance. Share & receive, wax and wane, push and pull, top and bottom, Yin and Yang. While Daoist “tantra” is much less known than its Indian counterpart (and tantra itself is often highly whitewashed, but I digress), Asia as a whole is deeply steeped in combining homework sexual techniques, medicines, and Yangsheng ‘healthy living’ integrated practices.
Libido is much more than just a healthy sex drive, it’s a healthy creative passion for life itself. It is the opposite of the all too common diagnosis of “Stagnation” we see every day in a TCM clinic.
I’ve been actively leading and working with men’s groups since the early 00’s, beginning with the Jungian side of things (Iron John, Women who Run with the Wolves, below) until becoming disillusioned by the often rampant pseudo religious new-ageism that seemed to go against the core ethos of the 90’s secular movements. While the return to the sacred is essential, it rapidly devolved into ego posturing virtue signalling, that quickly soured my experience – and I’m sure that of others in this Instagram era. My work is to reclaim authenticity, and rely on clinical experience and outcomes.
Roots to Sky’s services combine these time-tested practices (Qi Gong meditation, breathing techniques, and take-home physical practices) with customized health prescriptions. Backed by the most modern, well recognized training from authors and clinical psychologists, services act as a guide to finding the routes that work for you. to fully embrace your partner/s of any gender or orientation, or to regain your fertility and Vitality – approaching sex with optimal health & balanced communication.
Complete interest articles & video series on the way – these are by far my favourite life long topics and intersections!
- Custom diagnosis-based sexual wellness plans (nutrition, traditional Chinese herbal formulas, acupuncture, lifestyle coaching)
- Above plans help to resolve: low libido, premature ejaculation/ED, menstrual concerns, infertility/impotence, psycho-somatic trauma, working with vulnerability/emotional expression, sex addiction, etc based in the TCM approach (working with a standard psychotherapist/ sex therapist may be encouraged).
- Gottman/Perel/Non-Violent Communication style relationship coaching/training
- Take-home training in sexuality meditation practices (primarily Daoist techniques – breathwork, “microcosmic orbit” etc)
- Qigong or Reiki Attunements to heighten your energetic sensitivity
Program based on/Recommended reading:
- Non-Violent Communication – Marshall Rosenberg
- The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work – John M. Gottman Ph.D
- Mating in Captivity – Esther Perel
- The Erotic Mind – Jack Morin Ph.D
- Awaken Healing Energy Through the Tao – Mantak Chia
- The 5 Love Languages – Gary Chapman
- The Enlightened Sex Manual – David Deida
- Iron John – Robert Bly
- Women who Run with the Wolves – Clarissa Pinkola Estes
- Fire in the Belly – Sam Keen
- Tantric Orgasm for Women – Diana Richardson
- King Magician Warrior Lover – Robert Moore, Douglas Gillette
- The Multi-Orgasmic Man – Mantak Chia
- Open Her – Karen Brody
- The Ethical Slut – Janet W. Hardy & Dossie Easton
- The New Topping/Bottoming Book – Dossie Easton & Janet W. Hardy
- Sacred Kink – Lee Harrington
- Tongue Tied – Stella Harris
- Urban Tantra – Barbara Carrellas
- The Tao of Love and Sex – Jolan Chang
- The Tao of Health, Sex and Longevity – Daniel Reid
- And many more can be recommended once we sit down to learn the path that works for you