Began March 2020
Misinformation Resources: Total revision: 07/13/22 | Minor Updates: 8/18/22
While some find it counterintuitive, if you have been following my social media posts, you will know that both I and my TCM regulated medical professional colleagues in general are pro-vaccine advocates, as it is a scientific reality that they safely work in reducing transmission and preventing deaths & ICU admissions in this public health crisis, as evidenced in this section of my website below. This is why we encourage everyone to do your part to protect the legitimately vulnerable/immunocompromised members of our human community; and all friends, family, and strangers from the still unknown damages of Long Covid, again documented below. We need all the tools in the toolbox.
With that out of the way, as Western/modern medicine grappled with developing these vaccines under extreme pressure, I also strongly feel that little to no actual individualized immune system supportive measures remain being discussed broadly, despite the fact that we do have tools to help at our disposal. Individualized meaning – identifying the wholistic differences between who gets Covid and who doesn’t, and rates of severity. This cannot be stressed enough – especially for at-risk populations. We need both vaccines – and deeper education on improving our overall health. Especially now that we face the shadow Long Covid pandemic – something which TCM is extremely adept at managing (I am writing a thorough essay on this). And I predict that biomedicine, with its poor track record in managing chronic health conditions (I will add substantial citation here, in the meantime follow me on Twitter for my near daily posting), will either fail miserably at, or will gaslight aside in mainstream conversation – the “it’s all in your head” I see weekly in my clinic.
This is an age of mutual respect, understanding and true complementary medicine: Admitting the shortcomings in all our fields, and building bridges to protect both reason, and public health.
Traditional Chinese/Eastern Medicine (TCM) is indeed capable of being an assistant method of prevention and treatment (alongside, of course, all standard CDC/WHO/local governmental guidelines that govern us regulated TCM practitioners – this goes without saying!). We’ve been at this in an unbroken tradition, now backed by modern science and documented below – for millennia. Millenia of treating infectious disease. A brief glimpse provided below (our textbooks are significantly more detailed and not available online.) So, I’m not talking about fringe quack supplements here.
You might ask what qualifies a TCM practitioner to write and post so much on pandemics, misinformation, and vaccine science? I’ve been dispelling myths and translating TCM to modern audiences even before my professional career. Our advanced TCM training (our “Doctor” title is still undergoing legislation, but is on its way) consisted heavily of modern biomedicine, pharmacology (of which we were trained more than an average GP MD due to our combining advanced herbal formulas with modern medications), pharmacodynamics/kinetics, training in and conducting formal science-based research, and obviously historical epidemics (the leading killers of the time) and their treatment with highly technical herbal formulas, refined through centuries – simply not found in historical Western medicine (which instead was burning witches at the stake in a parallel timeframe…)
But again – does this specifically give me the expertise to discuss vaccinology? No. Absolutely not. And that’s the point: We should all be generally listening to the extremely well trained, exhausted professionals in their fields: the nurses, the lawyers, the research scientists, and the immunology/vaccinology experts who all have come together to shape public policy. To protect public health.
So when I see people in my social media feeds discussing vaccines or masking it is blatantly obvious the vast majority of us have zero idea what they are talking about. How do I know? Because *I* have no idea what I’m talking about – and the more I listen to the actual experts listed below (especially on LinkedIn and Twitter) the more I realize that. Here I agree with Bakunin’s “in the matters of the boots we defer to the bootmaker”. This is why my entire thesis has been around #debunk: learning to debunk ourselves for the betterment of human health and public discourse.
This set of resources below is intended to educate the general public and healthcare practitioners in general. Check back often, I will likely be updating this often, and will be posting general updates to my ‘Inspired Living Warriors‘ Fb Page.
Lastly this has all cumulated into me writing an actual book, so far totalling over 150 pages – check out the Public Draft here.
If you’d like to learn much more about the philosophy and basics of Chinese Medicine, please check out my comprehensive article – here, on the other hand if you are skeptical of TCM you’ll find my article for skeptics linked below.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
PART 1: Covid Resources (Page 1)
- TCM Basics: Your Action Plan Summary
- Stage One – Prevention: “I’m fine”
- Stage Two – Mild: “I think I may have caught Covid?”
- Stage Three – Acute: “I’m sick”
- Public TCM Distributors
- TCM Technicals: Advanced Tactics & Science
- A Note on “Boosting” the Immune System
- Mental Health Resources
- My Top Resources
- Science-Based Databases
- Emergency/Financial Resources
PART 2: Misinfodemic Database (Page 2)
- 🌟 Appendix: Personal Reflections
- A Note for TCM Skeptics
- MISINFORMATION DATABASE: Keeping Your Head Screwed On: Debunking Conspiracies
- Fact Checking Resources
- General Misinformation Overviews
- Conspirituality Overview
- The Vaccine
- Vaccinated vs Unvaccinated
- MRNA/Spike Protein
- Vaccine Capitalism
- Long Covid, Post Convoy, Omicron Subvariants
- Antivax Conspirituality & the Rise of Right-Wing Extremism
- Side Effects
- Ivermectin/Rogan/Russel Brand etc
- Actual Evidence-Based Personalities to Follow
- 2020 Archive
- 2020 Debunked: “Plandemic”, Bill Gates, 5G etc
- Big Picture (Now Outdated)
- Emerging Newsfronts
- Socio-Political Implications
1. The Basics: YOUR ACTION PLAN SUMMARY (First Wave)
SKEPTICAL OF TCM?Check out my extensive blog post here.
- Please note – neither Matt Walton nor Roots to Sky take responsibility for your decision to purchase & consume any of these recommendations. They are provided for your own research and should always be under the supervision of an experienced practitioner.
- Further, these are all meant to be seen with the attitude of “every little bit helps”, none in and of themselves is in any way meant to be a “cure” – more as a “use what tools we’ve got” shotgun approach, alongside standard medical advice.
- To prevent hoarding and low-supply stock, these should be prioritised to the most at-risk populations – in other words, please buy these for your grandparents or those with compromised immune systems, before buying them for yourself.
- The first 2 formulas below Yu Ping Feng San and Gan Mao Ling should be in every at-risk household, especially front-line healthcare workers. When properly prescribed can reduce the days and intensity of the illness – with little, if any side effects. I choose these because of their high availability to the public from the distributors I have listed in Part 2.
- Skeptical? Refer to the TCM Science section and see next page at bottom of this article.
STAGE ONE – PREVENTATIVE: “I’m fine”
- NOTE: While the science may be back & forth on Vitamin D etc – my line of thinking is – it wont hurt.
- Harvard Medical School: How to boost your immune system
- My Top Five Tips to Maintain your Immune System
- Immune Supportive/Incubation/Asymptomatic Stage use: Jade Windscreen (Yu Ping Feng San) (1, 2)
- Other useful single Immune Tonic herbs:
- Astragalus, North American ginseng, turkey tail, reishi/ganoderma, shiitake (in fact, mushrooms in general), elecampane (related to ragweed)
- My top immune system enhancing supplements:
- Deep Immune – The Ideal All-Around Protective Tonic
- Based on Jade Windscreen, available in any health food store!
- AOR – Mushroom Synergy
- Vitamin D
- There’s just too much research showing the link between sunlight & cold/flu. Basically – Covid or not, it wont hurt!
- My top vitamin research website
- I’ll… leave this up to you to scan through.
- Deep Immune – The Ideal All-Around Protective Tonic
- Prevention lifestyle tips:
- Quite honestly – if there was ever a time to take your whole health into account, this is it. By utilizing TCM “Pattern Diagnosis” we look at the signs & symptoms no matter how small, that your body & mind is currently expressing, and counterbalance these signs, to ensure true balanced health – and thus you will likely have a much more fortified ability to prevent illness of any kind – including the difference between asymptomatic vs symptomatic cases of COVID-19. I have no data to back this up, just thousands of years of clinical experience :P
- I’m worried about the mental health and increased substance abuse from those we aren’t hearing from in our social networks. Please call and check in with your friends & family – especially those who fall easily into depression/addiction.
- Honestly, don’t underestimate the power of “catching a chill” – wear a scarf, stay warm, avoid drafts & breezes that give you goosebumps. If you catch a chill, be sure to make a fresh ginger tea (boiled 10 mins), or even chai, to “throw it off”.
- Stop acting like the air outside is toxic! Go for a walk, fresh air, forests, and sun will boost your immune system and mood. I don’t think I need to prove the research here :P
- (This was clearly written in the first wave)
STAGE TWO – MILD: “I think I may have caught something?”
- Symptom-Specific Herbal Protection from Viruses
- Early/First mild signs of infection use: GAN MAO LING
- According to Jake Paul Fratkin, a stronger anti-viral when compared to the other popular YIN QIAO SAN formula – but can absolutely be taken in combination in this case.
- I’m recommending it over other more technical/less commonly available formulas because of how easy it is to find for any household.
- Do not be afraid of raising the dose – but it may cause GI issues.
- As soon as acute fever/chill symptoms emerge – STOP taking Jade Windscreen (refer to my initial video above) and get the infected person to immediately sweat by any means necessary – strong fresh ginger tea and a hot bath!
- Other useful single early stage herbs (diaphoretics):
STAGE THREE – ACUTE COLD/FLU: “I’m sick”
- Established Acute Infection: Refer the “Advanced TCM Resources” below to your practitioner.
- STOP taking Jade Windscreen and go to a hospital!
- In the full blown stage, Chinese Medicine works best when guideline formulas are customized to the needs of the individual – as is the tradition.
- When it comes to cytokine storms – the logic remains, simply treat based on TCM pattern presentation in the Advanced section.
- Immediately order: QING FEI PAI DU TANG (FDA approved!) from the distributors listed below – or have your TCM practitioner order it for you.
- Other easy to find formulas include: Pinellia Expectorant Pills/Qing Qi Hua Tan Wan paired with Jie Geng Wan
2. PUBLIC TCM DISTRIBUTORS
This has proved to be far more time consuming that I originally thought – so any help is appreciated – feel free to contact me via LinkedIn.
Please note – neither Matt Walton nor Roots to Sky take responsibility for your decision to purchase & consume any of these recommendations. They are provided for your own research, and are best dispensed under the supervision of an experienced practitioner.
3. The Technicals: ADVANCED TCM TACTICS & SCIENCE
Please note I am rigorously staying on top of all the information disseminated from CTCMPAO & Health Canada so that my medical expertise stays sharp and updated.
A NOTE ON “BOOSTING” THE IMMUNE SYSTEM: When I/we say this term, what we TCM practitioners are saying is restoring/maintaining optimal immune system markers especially when a person is in a general poor state of overall health – as from the TCM symptom pattern view and on lab reports, many, if not most Westerners are. We are well within our scope of practice in use of these terms as the technical definition of poor immunity is “Wei Qi Deficiency” thus “boosting” (aka supplementing, nourishing, tonifying, etc, all terms of translation of classical literature) based on pattern diagnostics is what we do. Deficiencies are primarily due to poor diets, chronic inflammation, and stress-related immune suppression. Essentially – why some people get sick, while others don’t. I do not believe this a lottery, especially when TCM symptomatology is completely capable of predicting who is more likely at risk, besides the obvious comorbidities. Specifically, there is research to prove that this, and numerous other herbs not mentioned here (such as Tulsi, Turkey Tail) can “significantly increase levels of the immune system’s T-helper cells and NK-cells”, as well as Vitamin D. I will provide more evidence here – I am obviously working on a few fronts in this complex time!
To better understand TCM terminology, please check out the first part my post here.
Note: As of August 2021, much more research has developed on the TCM front – I have yet to update these links below, but for now they should all stand current & valid.
- Expert Consensus Statement on the Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment of COVID-19 Infection in Children
- The most comprehensive TCM article I’ve found so far.
- Effective Strategies for Treating Influenza
- Highly recommend for understanding how TCM approaches COVID, flu, or any medical conditions in general. This is for demonstration purposes – I’m obviously aware that Covid is not the flu (and loathe that people still think they are similar).
- How COVID-19 (2019-nCoV) is Currently Treated in China with TCM
- Covid Clinical Information | ClassicalChineseMedicine.org
- Thoughts on Coronavirus Prevention and Treatment with Chinese Medicine – ClassicalChineseMedicine.org
- Journal of Chinese Medicine – COVID-19 and Chinese medicine
- Home | TCM-Covid19 (tcm-covid19.org)
- COVID-19 Deaths Plummet With Chinese Herbal Medicine (11/20)
- COVID-19 Acupuncture & Herbs Outcomes Reported (July 20/20)
- The Lantern Magazine: COVID-19 – Your Essential Guide
- In silico screening of Chinese herbal medicines with the potential to directly inhibit 2019 novel coronavirus
- Can Chinese Medicine Be Used for Prevention of Corona Virus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)? A Review of Historical Classics, Research Evidence and Current Prevention Programs.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine in the Treatment of Patients Infected with 2019-New Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2): A Review and Perspective
- COVID-19 and CHINESE MEDICINE
- THE JADE SCREEN – The Story Behind Yupingfeng San
- PubMed: Yu Ping Feng San
- American Dragon: Influenza
- Again obviously this is for influenza, I include it here for a public example of TCM “pattern” presentation logic
- Is TCM helping to treat coronavirus in China?
- Coronavirus: Chinese researchers claim TCM herbal remedy could ‘inhibit’ 2019-nCoV
- CORONAVIRUS, ANCIENT THERAPIES: CAN CHINESE MEDICINE HELP CONTAIN COVID-19?
- Call to Action: Announcing the Traditional, Complementary and Integrative Health and Medicine COVID-19 Support Registry
- “North American and European governments are typically silent on these practices,4 unless to warn of possible harm and overselling.5 The guidance from these federal bodies is typically limited to what may be called “healthy waiting”—social distancing, mild exercise, stress reduction, no smoking, and limiting alcohol.6 The view is that if there is no hard evidence that product x reverses COVID-19, it is not worth mentioning. This position is, of course, a double standard: no practices have definitive evidence for benefit against COVID-19, yet providers with other stripes are using experimental practices and off-label drugs every day in their desperate to ease patient suffering and elicit hope.”
Further, I recommend doing PubMed searches on any individual herbs included in any of the aforementioned formulas. I do not mean to deflect research – I am simply overwhelmed due to being admittedly distracted by my ‘Mental Health’ & ‘Misinformation‘ campaigns below and in my social media channels. I will soon be providing even more research as there have been numerous TCM studies & reports since the first (early March) stages of this resource page.
Still skeptical? See next page at bottom of this article.
4. MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES
If you’ve been following my writing on social media, one of my biggest alarms I’ve been sounding regarding prolonged quarantine is increased depression, stress, anxiety – and even suicides. As of April, with my above Chinese Medicine resources now generally complete, I will switch my focus to providing as many mental/emotional resources as I can here. Please check back often.
- ⭐⭐Inspired Living Warriors Fb Group: Mental-Emotional Health Resources
- ⭐CAMH: Mental Health and the COVID-19 Pandemic
- ⭐Ontario COVID-19 Mental Health Network (Free)
- Ontario Increasing Mental Health Support During COVID-19 (Ontario.ca)
- Mental Health Commission of Canada – Covid-19 Resources
- Coronavirus: How to protect your mental health (BBC)
- How To Stay Resilient And Mentally Healthy During The Coronavirus Outbreak
- Jack.org – COVID-19 Youth Mental Health Resource Hub
- Strengthening Mental Health and Wellness During COVID-19 (Ontario Hospital Association)
- Resources to Support Your Mental Health During the COVID-19 Outbreak
- The Carter Center: COVID-19 mental health resources for journalists and you
TCM FOR DEPRESSION/ANXIETY/INSOMNIA/STRESS
- Gan Mai Da Zao Wan – This is basically the only formula I’m recommending for the general public without the need for a formal precise TCM diagnosis. There are many other options to choose from – but these may not be suitable for everyone, unlike this one. Order it from the links provided in Section 2 above.
TELEHEALTH & SERVICES
- Ontario Telemedicine Network
- OAMHP – Ontario Association of Mental Health Professionals
- Free premium access through the COVID-19 crisis
- How to Manage Your Stress When the Sky Is Falling (Harvard Business Review – an excellent piece!)
- How Loneliness from Coronavirus Isolation Takes Its Own Toll (New Yorker)
- Coping with coronavirus: An upside of anxiety, the curse of panic (SF Chronicle)
- Don’t Go Down a Coronavirus Anxiety Spiral (Wired)
- How a 25-year-old is addressing mental health during the coronavirus crisis
- Companies boosting mental health supports for employees amid coronavirus pandemic (Globe & Mail)
- The Covid-19 crisis too few are talking about: health care workers’ mental health
5. MATT’S TOP RESOURCES & ARTICLES:
SCIENCE-BASED DATABASES & UPDATES
- ⭐Ontario COVID-19 Dashboard (Suuuuper awesome resource)
- ⭐Kersplebedeb Covid News Index (A highly politicized database, note the lack of conspiracy)
- PubMed: LitCovid
- COVID-19: Poynter Resources
- Amazing live New Brunswick Database example
- Note 100% of seniors are vaccinated.
- Medscape Coronavirus Database
- WHO: Global research on coronavirus disease
- Global Covid-19 Case Fatality Rates
- Harvard Coronavirus Resource Center (Also an excellent Q&A)
- LinkedIn – Coronavirus: Official Updates (Excellent updates, directly from WHO etc.)
- Medium – Coronavirus Blog
- Here’s where Canadian artists and freelancers can find help during COVID-19 shutdowns
- Credit Canada – COVID-19 Financial Resource Centre
- HOW TO SURVIVE A FINANCIAL EMERGENCY: COVID-19 PANDEMIC