LATEST: Completely Revised TCM Section! Plus Mental Health Resources & Fact-Checking Resources, and a more thorough analysis in my ‘Skeptical?’ section.
Upcoming Updates: Free Webinars & Telehealth Q&As
Please check out my Instagram/Facebook Page/LinkedIn Stories for quick tips and insights!
As Western/modern medicine grapples developing a vaccine under extreme pressure, I strongly feel that little to no actual immune system supportive measures are being discussed broadly, despite the fact that we do have tools to help at our disposal. This cannot be stressed enough – especially for at-risk populations.
Traditional Chinese/Eastern Medicine (TCM) is indeed capable of being an assistant method of prevention and treatment (alongside, of course, all standard CDC/local governmental guidelines – this goes without saying!) with extensive science and millennia of experience to back this claim up – all provided below.
This set of resources is intended to educate the general public and healthcare practitioners in general.
Check back often, I will likely be updating this daily, and will be posting general updates to my ‘Inspired Living Warriors‘ Fb Page.
If you’d like to learn much more about the philosophy and basics of Chinese Medicine, please check out my comprehensive article – here (and give it some claps while you’re there!)
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- TCM Basics: Your Action Plan Summary
- Stage One – Prevention: “I’m fine”
- Stage Two – Mild: “I think I may have caught something?”
- Stage Three – Acute: “I’m sick”
- Public TCM Distributors
- TCM Technicals: Advanced Tactics & Science
- A Note on “Boosting” the Immune System
- Mental Health Resources
- My Top Resources
- Big Picture
- Science-Based Databases
- Emergency/Financial Resources 🆕
- Emerging Newsfronts
- Appendix: Personal Reflections
- A Note for TCM Skeptics
- Keeping Your Head Screwed On: Debunking Conspiracies (Fact Checking, General Articles, Bill Gates, 5G)
- Socio-Political Implications
1. The Basics: YOUR ACTION PLAN SUMMARY
- Please note – neither Matt Walton nor Roots to Sky take responsibility for your decision to purchase & consume any of these recommendations. They are provided for your own research, and should always be under the supervision of an experienced practitioner.
- To prevent hoarding and low-supply stock, these should be prioritised to the most at-risk populations – in other words, please buy these for your grandparents or those with compromised immune systems, before buying them for yourself.
- Skeptical? Refer to the TCM Science section, and see next page at bottom of this article.
- Symptom-Specific Herbal Protection from Viruses
- Harvard Medical School: How to boost your immune system
- My Top Five Tips to Maintain your Immune System 🆕
The first 2 formulas below Yu Ping Feng San and Gan Mao Ling should be in every at-risk household, especially front-line healthcare workers. When properly prescribed can reduce the days and intensity of the illness – with little, if any side effects. I choose these because of their high availability to the public from the distributors I have listed in Part 2.
STAGE ONE – PREVENTATIVE: “I’m fine”
- Immune Supportive/Incubation/Asymptomatic Stage use: Jade Windscreen (Yu Ping Feng San) (1, 2)
- Other useful single Immune Tonic herbs:
- Astragalus, North American ginseng, turkey tail, reishi/ganoderma, shiitake (in fact, mushrooms in general), elecampane (related to ragweed)
- My top immune system enhancing supplements:
- Deep Immune – The Ideal All-Around Protective Tonic
- Based on Jade Windscreen, available in any health food store!
- AOR – Mushroom Synergy
- Vitamin D
- There’s just too much research showing the link between sunlight & cold/flu. Basically – Covid or not, it wont hurt!
- My top vitamin research website
- I’ll… leave this up to you to scan through.
- Deep Immune – The Ideal All-Around Protective Tonic
- Prevention lifestyle tips:
- I’m worried about the mental health and increased substance abuse from those we aren’t hearing from in our social networks. Please call and check in with your friends & family – especially those who fall easily into depression/addiction.
- Honestly, don’t underestimate the power of “catching a chill” – wear a scarf, stay warm, avoid drafts & breezes that give you goosebumps. If you catch a chill, be sure to make a fresh ginger tea (boiled 10 mins), or even chai, to “throw it off”.
- Stop acting like the air outside is toxic! Go for a walk, fresh air, forests, and sun will boost your immune system and mood. This isn’t an apocalypse! Just avoid crowds, the virus can only be transmitted through sustained contact.
STAGE TWO – MILD: “I think I may have caught something?”
- Early/First mild signs of infection use: GAN MAO LING
- According to Jake Paul Fratkin, a stronger anti-viral when compared to the other popular YIN QIAO SAN formula – but can absolutely be taken in combination in this case.
- I’m recommending it over other more technical/less commonly available formulas because of how easy it is to find for any household.
- Do not be afraid of raising the dose – but it may cause GI issues.
- As soon as acute fever/chill symptoms emerge – STOP taking Jade Windscreen (refer to my initial video above) and get the infected person to immediately sweat by any means necessary – strong fresh ginger tea and a hot bath!
- Other useful single early stage herbs (diaphoretics):
STAGE THREE – ACUTE COLD/FLU: “I’m sick”
- Established Acute Infection: Refer the “Advanced TCM Resources” below to your practitioner.
- STOP taking Jade Windscreen and go to a hospital!
- In the full blown stage, Chinese Medicine works best when guideline formulas are customized to the needs of the individual – as is the tradition.
- When it comes to cytokine storms – the logic remains, simply treat based on TCM pattern presentation in the Advanced section.
- Immediately order: QING FEI PAI DU TANG (FDA approved!) from the distributors listed below – or have your TCM practitioner order it for you.
- Other easy to find formulas include: Pinellia Expectorant Pills/Qing Qi Hua Tan Wan paired with Jie Geng Wan
2. PUBLIC TCM DISTRIBUTORS
Please note – neither Matt Walton nor Roots to Sky take responsibility for your decision to purchase & consume any of these recommendations. They are provided for your own research, and are best dispensed under the supervision of an experienced practitioner.
3. The Technicals: ADVANCED TCM TACTICS & SCIENCE
Please note I am rigorously staying on top of all the information disseminated from CTCMPAO & Health Canada so that my medical expertise stays sharp and updated.
A NOTE ON “BOOSTING” THE IMMUNE SYSTEM: When I/we say this term, what we TCM practitioners are saying is restoring/maintaining optimal immune system markers especially when a person is in a general poor state of overall health – as from the TCM symptom pattern view and on lab reports, many, if not most Westerners are. This is primarily due to poor diets, chronic inflammation, and stress-related immune suppression. Essentially – why some people get sick, while others don’t. I do not believe this a lottery, especially when TCM symptomotology is completely capable of predicting who is more likely at risk, besides the obvious comorbidities. Specifically there is research to prove that this, and numerous other herbs not mentioned here (such as Tulsi, Turkey Tail) can “significantly increase levels of the immune system’s T-helper cells and NK-cells”. I will provide more evidence here – I am obviously working on a few fronts!
To better understand TCM terminology, please check out my brief FAQ on the topic, here.
- Expert Consensus Statement on the Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment of COVID-19 Infection in Children
- The most comprehensive TCM article to date.
- Effective Strategies for Treating Influenza
- Highly recommend for understanding how TCM approaches COVID, flu, or any medical conditions in general.
- How COVID-19 (2019-nCoV) is Currently Treated in China with TCM
- The Lantern Magazine: COVID-19 – Your Essential Guide
- In silico screening of Chinese herbal medicines with the potential to directly inhibit 2019 novel coronavirus
- Can Chinese Medicine Be Used for Prevention of Corona Virus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)? A Review of Historical Classics, Research Evidence and Current Prevention Programs.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine in the Treatment of Patients Infected with 2019-New Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2): A Review and Perspective
- COVID-19 and CHINESE MEDICINE
- PubMed: Yu Ping Feng San
- American Dragon: Influenza
- For general guidelines & pattern presentation logic
- Is TCM helping to treat coronavirus in China?
- Coronavirus: Chinese researchers claim TCM herbal remedy could ‘inhibit’ 2019-nCoV
- CORONAVIRUS, ANCIENT THERAPIES: CAN CHINESE MEDICINE HELP CONTAIN COVID-19?
- Call to Action: Announcing the Traditional, Complementary and Integrative Health and Medicine COVID-19 Support Registry
- “North American and European governments are typically silent on these practices,4 unless to warn of possible harm and overselling.5 The guidance from these federal bodies is typically limited to what may be called “healthy waiting”—social distancing, mild exercise, stress reduction, no smoking, and limiting alcohol.6 The view is that if there is no hard evidence that product x reverses COVID-19, it is not worth mentioning. This position is, of course, a double standard: no practices have definitive evidence for benefit against COVID-19, yet providers with other stripes are using experimental practices and off-label drugs every day in their desperate to ease patient suffering and elicit hope.”
Further, I recommend doing PubMed searches on any individual herbs included in any of the aforementioned formulas. I do not mean to deflect research – I am simply overwhelmed due to being admittedly distracted by my ‘Mental Health’ & ‘Misinformation‘ campaigns below and in my social media channels. I will soon be providing even more research as there have been numerous TCM studies & reports since the first (early March) stages of this resource page.
Still skeptical? See next page at bottom of this article.
4. 🆕MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES
If you’ve been following my writing on social media, one of my biggest alarms I’ve been sounding regarding prolonged quarantine is increased depression, stress, anxiety – and even suicides. As of April, with my above Chinese Medicine resources now generally complete, I will switch my focus to providing as many mental/emotional resources as I can here. Please check back often.
- Inspired Living Warriors Fb Group: Mental-Emotional Health Resources
- ⭐CAMH: Mental Health and the COVID-19 Pandemic
- ⭐Ontario COVID-19 Mental Health Network (Free)
- Ontario Increasing Mental Health Support During COVID-19 (Ontario.ca)
- Mental Health Commission of Canada – Covid-19 Resources
- Coronavirus: How to protect your mental health (BBC)
- How To Stay Resilient And Mentally Healthy During The Coronavirus Outbreak
- Jack.org – COVID-19 Youth Mental Health Resource Hub
- Strengthening Mental Health and Wellness During COVID-19 (Ontario Hospital Association)
- Resources to Support Your Mental Health During the COVID-19 Outbreak
- The Carter Center: COVID-19 mental health resources for journalists and you
TCM FOR DEPRESSION/ANXIETY/INSOMNIA/STRESS
- Gan Mai Da Zao Wan – This is basically the only formula I’m recommending for the general public without the need for a formal precise TCM diagnosis. There are many other options to choose from – but these may not be suitable for everyone, unlike this one. Order it from the links provided in Section 2 above.
TELEHEALTH & SERVICES
- Ontario Telemedicine Network
- OAMHP – Ontario Association of Mental Health Professionals
- Free premium access through the COVID-19 crisis
- How to Manage Your Stress When the Sky Is Falling (Harvard Business Review – an excellent piece!)
- How Loneliness from Coronavirus Isolation Takes Its Own Toll (New Yorker)
- Coping with coronavirus: An upside of anxiety, the curse of panic (SF Chronicle)
- Don’t Go Down a Coronavirus Anxiety Spiral (Wired)
- How a 25-year-old is addressing mental health during the coronavirus crisis
- Companies boosting mental health supports for employees amid coronavirus pandemic (Globe & Mail)
- The Covid-19 crisis too few are talking about: health care workers’ mental health
5. MATT’S TOP RESOURCES & ARTICLES:
SCIENCE-BASED DATABASES & UPDATES
- PubMed: LitCovid
- COVID-19: Poynter Resources
- Medscape Coronavirus Database
- WHO: Global research on coronavirus disease
- Global Covid-19 Case Fatality Rates
- Harvard Coronavirus Resource Center (Also an excellent Q&A)
- LinkedIn – Coronavirus: Official Updates (Excellent updates, directly from WHO etc.)
- Medium – Coronavirus Blog
- Here’s where Canadian artists and freelancers can find help during COVID-19 shutdowns
- Credit Canada – COVID-19 Financial Resource Centre
- HOW TO SURVIVE A FINANCIAL EMERGENCY: COVID-19 PANDEMIC
THE BIG PICTURE
- 7 Predictions for a Post-Coronavirus World
- How deadly is the coronavirus? It’s still far from clear
- Coronavirus: nine reasons to be reassured
- While this article is now relatively outdated, please keep your facts aligned with resources such as Medscape, CDC, WHO, and Wikipedia, instead of zero-ing in on the absolute worst-case scenarios and contributing to public hysteria.
- COVID-19 Mortality Rate May Be ‘Considerably Less Than 1%’
- This is world-wide, rather than individual regions where there obviously can be significant variations/variables – most notably in the US.
- Coronavirus Will Change the World Permanently. Here’s How.
- The entire premise of my original video has been confirmed by this latest report from Italy – please take this as a chance to have your loved ones begin the path to overall health!
- COVID-19 compared to other diseases
- The Ecology of Disease (from 2012!)
- The coronavirus did not escape from a lab. Here’s how we know.
- COVID-19 crisis tells world what Indigenous Peoples have been saying for thousands of years
- ‘Tip of the iceberg’: is our destruction of nature responsible for Covid-19?
- Meta-Analyses Reveal Who Should Be More Cautious of COVID-19
- The Four Possible Timelines for Life Returning to Normal
- Some Good News: You Don’t Need to Worry About the Coronavirus Mutating
- What the Science Really Says About Ibuprofen and Coronavirus
- Potential impact of seasonal forcing on a SARS-CoV-2 pandemic
- Severe Outcomes Among Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) — United States, February 12–March 16, 2020
- Study: COVID-19 Is Also Spread by Fecal-Oral Route
- Infected people without symptoms might be driving the spread of coronavirus more than we realized